Important things to know before you use the bulk upload
If you make a mistake with an email address or username it will use one course licence but you can undo it by logging in and deleting the driver in question before they start. This will add the course licence back for you.
You can bulk upload drivers using the CSV template. We recommend loading only 100 at a time to avoid it timing out, i.e. break a large spreadsheet into several smaller ones with 100 drivers in each one.
If you are on a Guaranteed Drivers plan and need more drivers you must either delete some of your existing drivers to free up course licences or contact us to purchase extra course licences.
Download the template here. There is some sample data which you can delete, but don't delete the header row with the column names.
You must invite your managers first. If the managers don't exist in DT Driver Training, then the user's accounts will be created with their email address!
Bulk upload page
Then you will see the course selector. Choose the course, choose the file, then click Upload.
Drivers aren't required to have a unique email, but each driver account must be associated with a valid email address so it can receive password reset notifications and other notifications.
Note that once you have uploaded a driver without an email, they cannot add an email to the account, other than the backup email.
Use only lettters, numbers and full stops. Don't use any other characters. It won't work with commas, hyphens, etc.
Instructions for filling out the CSV template
This shows an example of a variety of scenarios.
The first 3 drivers have no email address of their own. They can use a shared email address, but it's not compulsory - you could load them without an email address. They belong to the group 'Wellington'.
Drivers 5-9 are a mixture of staff and contractors with their own email addresses and belong to various groups. Pam belongs to both Sydney and Sales. They don't need a username because they have a unique email.
Driver 10, Glenys, also has a unique email address, but there's nothing to stop you adding a username, too - it's up to you.
- If a driver doesn't have a company email and you don't want to use their private email, use a generic shared email address, or the email address of an existing manager, where notifications can be sent.
- Usernames must be unique in the system, so we recommend you append your company name or some modifier to the username just in case someone has used it already, e.g. john.yourco, or yourco001, yourco002, etc. It is case-sensitive, i.e. Yourco, is different to yourco. Usernames cannot have spaces or special characters.
- If you are uploading drivers without usernames, the emails MUST be unique. Two different drivers can't have the same email address.
- If you are uploading drivers with usernames, the email address will be placed in their profile's backup email if it's not a unique email.
- Password is mandatory and must be more than 5 characters. They don't have to be unique.
- Groups must exactly match the capitalisation and spelling of the groups you want to add them too. E.g. if you want to add them to Auckland and Sales then you will write Auckland, Sales in the field. If you're not using groups, you must enter Default Group.
Access to modules and courses will be decided by the groups that you assign the drivers to.
Notifying drivers that don't have email addresses
If you don't have individual email addresses for your drivers they won't receive reminders or a confirmation email about their account. They won't be able to reset their password or retrieve a forgotten password; you will have to manage this for them using the shared email.
If you do add an email into the email field, those drivers will receive a confirmation email with their account details.
Errors with importing
Errors will be given with a row number, e.g.
Drivers in the following rows in your spreadsheet already exist either in your company or with a private account: 3,4
In this case, '3,4' refers to the third and fourth record in the spreadsheet, which will be row 4 and 5.
You will get these errors if you try to upload too many drivers, upload a driver who already exists, or don't include enough information.
If there are any errors in the file, no drivers will be imported and you will receive a warning at the top of the screen telling you how to fix the spreadsheet.
Bulk uploading managers
If you are using one email for several hundred drivers then we recommend you have your drivers turn some of the email notifications off in Profile > Email Settings otherwise you will get a lot of reminders as module scores expire. Find out how here.
The course is not available or the button is greyed out
If the button is grey or the course is not listed it means you have no spare course licences. Purchase one or more course licences and try again.